2017 Algonquin Negotiation Representative Elections
There are sixteen Algonquin Negotiation Representatives (ANRs) representing ten Algonquin Communities who are responsible for negotiating a Treaty between the Algonquins of Ontario and the Governments of Canada and Ontario.
Elections will be held to elect one Algonquin Negotiation Representative for each of the nine Algonquin Communities listed below. This election process is distinct from the general election for Chief and Council of the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan First Nation held in late March 2017 in accordance with their Custom Election Code. As with the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan First Nation, each of the ANRs for the nine Algonquin Communities will serve a three-year term.
The upcoming election process, updated from 2014, is set out in a document entitled ANR Election Process 2017.
A new requirement has been included that all Candidates must provide a current level 1 Canadian Police Information Check (CPIC), dated no longer than three months prior to their nomination, to the Electoral Officer within 10 days following the close of nominations. Moreover, a Candidate must not have been convicted of an indictable offence within the three years prior to their nomination. The Electoral Officer shall determine, from a review of the CPIC, whether a Candidate complies with that requirement.
Any potential Candidates may wish to contact their local police services to inquire about the application process.
Elections for Algonquin Negotiation Representatives for the Communities of Antoine, Bancroft, Bonnechere, Greater Golden Lake, Mattawa/North Bay, Ottawa, Shabot Obaadjiwan, Snimikobi, and Whitney and Area will take place in accordance with the following schedule:
- Posting of Electors List: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
- Notice of Election: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
- Opening of Nominations: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
- Close of Nominations: Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- End of Protests against Nominations: Friday, May 5, 2017
- Disposition of protests against Nominations: Monday, May 15, 2017
- Mail Out of Ballots: Tuesday, May 23, 2017
- In-person Voting Period: Monday, June 26, 2017 to Thursday, June 29, 2017, resuming on Tuesday, July 4, 2017 to Thursday, July 6, 2017
- Declaration of Election Results: Friday, July 7, 2017
The roles and responsibilities of the ANRs are set out in the Terms of Reference for Algonquin Negotiation Representatives dated September 26, 2005.
- To view a summary of the Roles and Responsibilities of the ANRs, click here
- To view the complete Terms of Reference, click here
Further details will be mailed out to all persons on the Algonquin Voters list in early April 2017.